Wednesday, April 1, 2009

REVIEW: Coastal Scents 88 Original Eyeshadow Palette

Hi guys! As you all know, I have bought the Coastal Scents 88 Original Eyeshadow Palette because I love eyeshadows (especially colorful ones) and I have been reading and watching (from youtube) great reviews and tutorials about them. So when I got it last month, I immediately put it to the test..I immediately used them when I went to watch the Eraserheads Concert :)

We all know that when we go to a rock concert, there will be no chairs for sitting and that you will stand up the whole time (you can read my experience on that here)..so I really thought that that would be a great test for the staying power and color payoff because most of the time I'll be perspiring lol. So here goes my review :)
What I've used:
- MAC painterly paintpot as base
- Revlon Liquid Concealer
- Ellana Awake concealer
- Ellana Ethereal MPM (applied wet using Aromaleigh Eyeliner Sealant) as eyeliner
- Lancome Waterproof Mascara
- Coastal Scents 88 e/s original palette..here are the colors:

Color "a" - in browbone and in inner corners of the eyes
Color "b" - in inner half lid
Color "c" - in outer half lid and crease
Color "d" - in outer corner and crease
Here's the look :)

Sorry for the "after" shot..my digicam's battery is going low already (it's already 3am!) and I'm sleepy too :)



As you can see in the pictures, my eyeshadow didn't actually changed that much in the span of 15 hours even under those conditions (heat, sweat, etc) so I'm really happy that day..I was really afraid to check my eye makeup when I got home coz I don't want to see that I have racoon eyes or that my eyes don't look the same because some parts of the shadows had already faded..I'm so glad that I didn't regretted buying this palette right after I bought it lol :)

Here's my final say...

PROS
- very affordable (I got this for only Php 975 from a reseller)
- great selections of colors
- has great pigmentation
- I don't need to bring many e/s now when I travel coz I can just bring this one
- it has a mirror attached
- I can now do many looks without buying new eyeshadows that I won't use that frequently


CONS
- each color is very small..almost like the size of a 10 centavo coin..I can definitely use up the highlighting colors quite easily
- I hope the case is matte so that it will not look "cheap"
- not all colors are pigmented..there are some that don't show up even with base
- there are some colors in the palette that don't have good color payoff - it gives off a different shade like the dark violet that show up like a dark royal blue upon application.
- you definitely need a good base coz staying power is blah if you use it alone (I have oily lids)


OVERALL: 4/5

WILL I BUY THIS AGAIN? No at the moment because I don't think I can finish this up anytime soon hehe but if ever I will be able to use this up, I'll probably get another palette :)

Till next time! Ciao!

4 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your palette :)

Crystal Gale said...

Thanx Nikki! I hope I can really think of a lot of look using this one..It actually stopped my lemming for eyeshadows! :)

DeBi said...

I felt the same way with the 78-color. there are some that are not "usable" lolz.
but it is a great investment. :)

Crystal Gale said...

^ agree! it is a great investment :)